WELCOME       My Story     The Characters       My Dating Life       .


1ST VISIT?     Receive Solo DOT Mom by Email          Don't forget to subscribe

Pin It

Sep 16, 2008

Single Parents, We Will Survive

Music.  It touches the heart and touches the soul.  I spoke about a current theme song that I have claimed, which is 'Can't Hurry Love' in a previous blog (linked here).  But I also claim the recent John Mayer song, "Say" as my current theme song as well because of my latest obsession with blogging and writing.  (Find the lyrics here.)  It fits.

This morning though, what has become my life long theme song came on the radio while I was driving into work.  So I went down memory lane for a moment.  When I was 8, 9, 10 or so I got into music, or should I say started getting into more popular music.  My brother was five years older than me and he had an influence on what I listened to.  If he listened, I listened.  He gave me some old vinyl 45's.  (Yeah this shows I'm thirty something... some of you don't know what a vinyl 45 is.) One of those forty-fives I played over and over and over again way back then.  I just loved the song.  There was something about it.  But who knew it would become an ever returning theme song over the years. 

Here's the lyrics... do you remember this one?  Who knew way back then when I was eight or so that this song would be so relevant in my life today. Funny, how life works that way.  

First I was afraid
I was petrified
Kept thinking I could never live
without you by my side
But I spent so many nights
thinking how you did me wrong
I grew strong
I learned how to carry on
and so you're back
from outer space
I just walked in to find you here
with that sad look upon your face
I should have changed my stupid lock
I should have made you leave your key
If I had known for just one second
you'd be back to bother me
Go on now go walk out the door
just turn around now
'cause you're not welcome anymore
weren't you the one who tried to hurt me with goodbye
you think I'd crumble
you think I'd lay down and die
Oh no, not I
I will survive
as long as I know how to love
I know I will stay alive
I've got all my life to live
I've got all my love to give
and I'll survive
I will survive
It took all the strength I had
not to fall apart
kept trying hard to mend
the pieces of my broken heart
and I spent oh so many nights
just feeling sorry for myself
I used to cry
Now I hold my head up high
and you see me
somebody new
I'm not that chained up little person
still in love with you
and so you felt like dropping in
and just expect me to be free
now I'm saving all my loving
for someone who's loving me

There's probably a lot of single parents who can relate to this song.  I have met several. 

As a matter of fact we have created (or at least some very good, new found, single single-parents-connection-250x127parent friends, like this one and this one have created ) a space, a group, just for us on FACEBOOK called Single Parents Connection.  If you are a single parent or a single or a friend of a single parent... come on over and check it out.  You won't be sorry.  There's some great links to some truly relevant blogs and a list of single parent bloggers on there as they have tried to compile the best of the best list... (Oh yeah and they must like me because they included me!  I was quite honored.) They also have some great discussions posted just waiting on your input!

Photo Credit: http://www.besportier.com/archives/gap-sweater-vest-fall-2007-john-mayer-1.JPG

3 comments:

dadshouse said...

Hey Kitkat - thanks for the shoutout! Glad you like the Facebook group. The great thing about it - it promotes the blogs of everyone who chooses to take part.

It's not just a link to one person that only serves to support their site - it's there for everyone to connect to all the great single parent blogs.

Thanks for taking part!

Anonymous said...

Single Parents Connect ROCKS!!

I love this song! Must say it never featured when I left my ex though - weird actually.

I have songs for pretty much every event in my life!!!

Real Tech Mom said...

I have to say, you single parents are the sh*t! I remember when my son was first born, I couldn't fathom doing it alone. While my husband travels most of the time, he still comes home! I still get some kind of reprieve. Such a great song for you single mammas! You have my utmost respect!

Related Posts with Thumbnails