WELCOME       My Story     The Characters       My Dating Life       .


1ST VISIT?     Receive Solo DOT Mom by Email          Don't forget to subscribe

Pin It

Oct 3, 2008

Live: Embracing Change

Kass and I went to her "Back to school night" last night.  No I didn't meet any  single parents or single teachers that are potential dates but I did get Kass' 3rd grade teacher's myspace id so I can add her to myspace friends. Does that count?

Friends.  Virtual friends versus real world friends. The concept is becoming a mystery to me... I don't seem to have many "real life" friends in my world, in my busy 'singlemomdom.'  I have a few friends at work, a couple more at church, and my sister.  But does she count?  When I get busy and stressed there seems to be more tension with friends (or at the very least neglect) and conflict seems to enter... so I am going to be working on that.  With the recent stress of work my sense of humor has been lacking as well... so I am going to be working on that.

One thing I realized with my busyness of late, I've been missing my daily 'me-time'.  Even though I talk about 'me-time' every other weekend, there is also a time in each day where everyone should indulge in some sacred 'me-time' even if it's just 30 minutes in a hot bath or an hour after everyone goes to bed where you can be alone with your thoughts.  Time where your heart can talk to your head.

I need this "me time," this time of reflection.  It helps me to know where to focus on changing me - for the better.   I pray daily "change me Lord," and I'm repeatedly reminded that I need some things "chiseled" off of who I am.

Embracing change in your life is important.  Because there is only one constant in life and that is change!  So lets make that be change for the better.

There's a children's song that comes to mind from when I was little:

He's still working on me...

To make me what I ought to be.

It took Him just a week to make the moon and the stars

Sun and the Earth and Jupiter and Mars.

How loving and patient He must be...

He's still working on me.

Ok, I am a dork, but because I am self aware, humor me... I think the concept rings true even today.

I wish I could tell you I have it all together - that "I have arrived" or that I have mastered 'singlehood.'  Oh, but I would only be very wrong.  My imperfections are plenty as I continue learning each day, making the most of this journey, this wonderful, magical, adventurous journey called Life.

Photo Credit:  http://lepmfi.gsfc.nasa.gov/mfi/lepedu/siteimg/all_planets.gif

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The fear of change is so prominent in everyone's lives that we forget how adaptable we can be (if we let ourselves!).

I work in public service, and my coworkers have always sighed and said "People want progres....without change."

Anonymous said...

So funny, I had Mae's Back to School night last night, too!!

Here's to Me Time for YOU this weekend. You deserve it.

said...

I do so adore this post!! Awareness is a beautiful thing, isn't it?!

I try to have 10 minute breaks at work too. Stop, read a blog (like now) or simply walk outside and enjoy the cooling temperatures.

Singledom is one of those things that's a mystery to me too. I still think the term 'single mom' is an oxymoron. There's so much difference between the 'single' me and the 'mom' me. I try to find balance... sometimes it works and other times not so much. But I am working on it and not fighting it so much. It feels good to let go and embrace the dynamics of our situations. And it helps to have so much love and support from the blogging community.

I also like your little song. Very cute.

Enjoy your weekend!

Anonymous said...

So true, we hold on so tight when sometimes it's just better to let go and go with the flow.

Being a single mother does make it so hard to find time to care for yourself, let alone make friends to go out with.

I don't know what I would do without Twitter and my blogging community. I read like 300 blogs a week, but there are 300 friends whose lives are either better, the same or worse than mine on a day to day basis AND I can stop and thwart a kid crisis when needed.

Anonymous said...

Ok...I'm right there with you Kat- I find the more stressed at work I get and the more stressed home seems to take me -- the less me time I have and the more me and God time I need -- the bad thing for me being the emotional/joking type that has slipped away recently and with the thankful reminder of a song that should be my anthem - I know what I need to do -- get back to that quiet time so I can get the laughter back -- right now I just feel like a big crybaby!
Thanks for the post Kat! as always - you encourage me to know that I'm not in this "struggle" alone!

Related Posts with Thumbnails