WELCOME       My Story     The Characters       My Dating Life       .


1ST VISIT?     Receive Solo DOT Mom by Email          Don't forget to subscribe

Pin It

Feb 23, 2010

Abandon Ship or Toss Him Overboard!?

GE3F6BSE4UUD  (Technorati Claim Token)

Jump Overboard

How many times have you wanted to jump ship?  Have you ever said – “That’s it! Enough is enough!”?Man running

No I don’t mean on your relationship with your significant other (even though ); I mean with your kiddos!

The Boiling Point

Many times I have found myself at that pressure point: boiling; as they have gotten on my last nerve when it comes to reminding, reprimanding, and refereeing a set of siblings.  Just yesterday I wanted to either strangle my teenager, toss him overboard, or drive off and not come back…. for a long time.

Now I would NEVER actually follow through on these crazy notions, mind you, but it’s no rarity that this happens while parenting, working fulltime and wearing all the other hats we do as parents… especially as a single parent.  So what is the answer?  How do we cope?

Life Wheel – Out the Window!

At that point when I found myself getting hotter and hotter and my voice was rising higher and higher I just wanted to take that and chuck it out the window.  So keeping things in balance wasn’t helping in that moment.

Reflection

Of course, later that night when I reflected on the moment and my reaction, (my despairing and loud crazy woman kind of reaction) I was disappointed.  I regretted that I let the pressure get the best of me and push me past my “point.”  I prayed, “Change me, Lord.”  I want to react better to my kiddos when I’ve had it “up to here.”

It’s all about choices.

I don’t always make the best ones.

Good News

But the good news is, He still loves me.

And that’s the point.

My kids may disappoint me too – pushing me past my “point.” But I still love them  - and yes indeed, very much.  And realizing that God still loves me as well– even when I get bent out of shape at times… makes me feel better about my own “disappointing reactions.”

Find yourself… keeping it real.

Photo Credit: PhotoXpress.com/MAXFX

2 comments:

desertmom said...

Oh, so true! We are so imperfect, but that's what makes us great candidates for parenting! We can pass on to our kids the lessons we learn from the Lord. His patience is such a blessing!

Anonymous said...

I totally support that! Continue that way!

Related Posts with Thumbnails