WELCOME       My Story     The Characters       My Dating Life       .


1ST VISIT?     Receive Solo DOT Mom by Email          Don't forget to subscribe

Pin It

Aug 31, 2010

The Proposal

We were supposed to be writing down our 2 year and our 5 year plans.  didn’t want to give me his first, nor did I.  So we agreed.  Write them down and we would hand them to each other at the same time.

When you sit down with your significant other and talk about the future, it can be a happy time or a stressful time.  I wanted our discussions to be happy.  Plus I wanted to know what he was thinking now that we have been seeing each other over 18 months and counting.  I felt like we were getting to “idle” mode and I didn’t know what that meant.  I only dated my X for a collective six months before we were engaged. (Yeah long story there.)  So this long ongoing relationship was a record and we enjoy what we have, but I like to plan… you know me and my lists.

This is so different from when I was .  I vividly remember those days; and you have read about them, many of them.  Back during that time I searched the web for other single moms dating.  We embraced each other over the vast network of interlocking technology and cabling and became “like sisters,” vicariously living through each other when one of us met someone new or when we were battling the saga.  There were Ms. Single Mama, Single Mom Still Seeking, Desperately Seeking Sanity, and Modern Single Mom.  I say were because we have all moved on now to a new season of our relationships.  Modern Single Mom and Desperately Seeking are now married and blessed, while the other two are planning the big day, engaged

And me?

Well, a few nights ago I was holding a piece of paper folded with Mr. M’s 2-year and 5-year goals on it, focusing on our relationship and where it was heading from his perspective.  He was holding mine.  Quickly we opened them for our ‘reveal.’

I squealed.

Here’s what his said:

2 year plan – I want to see what you wrote first.

5 year plan – I want to continue to always be right.

Nice.

I had been had.

Mine of course broke down marriage, buying a house, getting my PMP certification, and preparing for my kids college days.

It all turned out ok, he finally filled out the real thing and listed marriage etc. but I told him I am still expecting an official proposal.  He smiled and said, “But you already asked me.”

Yeah, it doesn’t work that way.  He knows I am still waiting.

I will let you know when the big question gets popped.  Maybe next year, or the next… but I will be waiting.

Find yourself… keeping it real.

2010-08-19 040_web

Related Posts with Thumbnails